CARERS Program stands for Coaching Advocacy Respite Education Relationship Simulation. It is a free 8-week program of 2 hours weekly sessions that teaches practical skills and emotional supports needed to care for people living with dementia.
- develop more effective problem solving skills
- develop practical skills to improve communication and manage dementia related behaviours
- are given the opportunity to learn new skills by practicing them with the help of standardized patients who are professional actors trained to work with caregivers to simulate specific challenging situations encountered at home
- receive guidance and coaching by expert clinical staff through individualized role playing scenarios in order to learn new and more successful ways to cope with common caregiving dilemmas
- have the chance to process their emotional reactions to caregiving
- develop an enhanced sense of capability, feel less isolated and can continue to provide care in the community
600 University Ave
Open to individuals caring for a person with dementia
Caregivers are welcome to self-refer or to be referred by a health care professional by calling 416-586-4800 x5882 or emailing email@example.com, or health professionals can fill out and send the referral form.