The Aboriginal Patient Navigator (APN) helps bridge the gap between indigenous peoples, health services, and supports. They provide assistance on a patient’s journey to health and healing through traditional healing, traditional practitioners, medicines and cultural practices as well as assistance with western models of care.
- Coordination of care
- Elimination of barriers (real or perceived)
- Encouraging access to culturally appropriate health care services
- Referrals upon discharge from hospital or health care facility
- Hospital and Home visits
- Enhanced communication between individuals and health care providers
- Help with completing and understanding forms
- Maintaining regular contact during hospital stay
- Linking client/patient to local service providers
- Ensuring individuals and family understands care plan
Indigenous peoples (First Nations, Metis, Inuit) and their families or individuals who self-identify as connected to Indigenous heritage that are involved in the health system.
Contact for information.